Talking Circle/Open Forum
Zoom Online Meeting
Upcoming Date (last of 2021!):
12/10/21, Friday, 6:00pm - 7:00pm PST
The SCRID Board and Committees would like to whole-heartedly thank those of you who attended our first few Talking Circles/Open Forums and invite you to join us again! Any and all attendance/active engagement will continue to help shape the direction of SCRID and our collective response to changes in RID at the national level. These sessions are a way to come together, in community, to share, support, and learn from each other’s diverse experiences and wisdom. We all have much to share and so much more to learn. Join, meet and greet, and network!
We would like to take the time to engage and truly hear everyone's opinions and feelings during this session. As such we suggest the following format adjustment to provide the most support and connection for all in attendance:
- The first 30 minutes will be a large group discussion with a topic agreed-upon by the majority.
- Afterwards, the next 30 minutes may become 2 Breakout Groups: A non-melanin group and a BIPOC group.
(There will also be the option to not join a group--stay in the main room or leave/disconnect.)
Some boundaries and general guidelines that will provide for the best use of our limited, valuable time are (in no particular order):
- Confidentiality and Sharing (maintaining the confidentiality of the group): What is communicated here stays here. What is learned here, please share. Communicate only our own truths, on all occasions.
- Create and foster a space for learning and sharing. Share our stories, feelings, and experiences rather than advise, solve, blame, or debate. This means Active Listening--do not plan a response, be spontaneous.
- Check how much space you are taking up.
- Be open. Treasure curiosity and openness to new ideas and concepts.
- Avoid Tone Policing. Accept one another’s stories and emotions openly and lovingly, refraining from advice about proper storytelling, vocabulary/grammar, or unsolicited "helpful suggestions".
- Examine your defensiveness. Explore our feelings of defensiveness for vital feedback about ourselves. Find in the defensiveness ways for shattering old styles of perception. This requires that we stay flexible and leave behind certainty and rigidity about our own opinions/beliefs.
- Pay attention and respond with love. Read each other’s comments and hold them in our hearts. Respond respectfully from our hearts. Use "I" statements to communicate to the point.
- Value our differences. Regard our differences as sources of learning rather than division.
- Practice a culture of Calling "in".
There may be more group guidelines that we agree to add to this list as we continue our Talking Circles/Open Forums. If you have a suggestion or an addition, please contact a SCRID Board Member to work with us on providing the most safe, open, supportive, and professional environment for everyone.
Please join us for the last Talking Circle/Open Forum of 2021--Friday, December 10th, 6:00pm-7:00pm PST. We will continue our conversation, growth, and transformation. Invite more of our friends and colleagues to engage too!
Topic: SCRID Membership Talking Circle/Open Forum
Details: An open discussion regarding current RID Board Resignations, Racism, Audism, other "-isms" and SCRID’s (Our) Response.
Time: December 10, 2021, 6:00 PM Pacific Time (US and Canada) (duration ~ 1 hr)
(Zoom Link and Password will be emailed to you once you register through SCRID's Wild Apricot Database system.)
Warmly, Thoughtfully, and Compassionately,
The entire SCRID Board and Committees
Contact Person: Bob LoParo